The San Francisco Bay Area is constantly evolving as more and more people make the move to this vast, vibrant region. New high-rise developments are changing the cityscape, while new communities, particularly in the suburbs, are striving to meet the demand for rapid expansion.
Through all these, residents and local governments are taking pains to preserve the region’s rich cultural heritage and historic landmarks, as well as its amazing natural features.
New Construction in San Francisco
The city and county of San Francisco remains a highly desirable location, and if you think the city’s housing potential has been maxed out, take a look at the new developments going on around the area.
Previously overlooked locations like Bay view Hunters Point are providing much needed new housing space in communities that offer great quality of life.
Single-family homes are increasingly getting scarce in San Francisco, but new ones still rise in neighborly areas like Bernal Heights. Mostly, however, town homes, duplexes and high-rise condos and apartments have been providing much-needed additional living space across the city.
New medium to high-rise developments that are currently going on include:
- 616 20th in Dogpatch
- The Solaire in Rincon Hill
- 901 Tennessee in Dogpatch
- Lumina in South Beach
- The Harrison in Rincon Hill/South Beach
- One Mission Bay in Mission Bay
New Construction in Oakland
Oakland continues to grow and new developments in the city are keeping up with the rising demand for housing. The huge Brooklyn Basin development had its groundbreaking in March 2014, and occupancy is expected to start in 2017.
Meantime, other new communities in the city have been rising or are in the process of being developed. These include:
- Bellevue – Located on Campus Drive, this neighborhood features 15 luxury single-family homes with 4 to 5 bedrooms and energy-efficient features
- Jade at Monte Vista Villas – Features executive homes with splendid views of the Bay,in sizes ranging from 2,166 to 2,153 square feet
- Station House in West Oakland – a 171-unit townhouse project located near a historic landmark
- Oakland Tower – to be constructed at 1640 Broadway, this is planned to have 254 units (ranging from studios to three bedrooms) in 33 floors
New Construction in Pleasant Hills and Walnut Creek
The family-friendly communities of Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek remain popular with home buyers. Newly-built single-family homes in existing neighborhoods regularly find their way on the market, and are quickly sold, commanding good prices.
Just recently, the area has seen the development of Avalon Walnut Creek, a transit-oriented development around the Pleasant Hill BART station. It features luxury town homes and apartments in studios or one to three bedrooms, with amenities that include an outdoor pool and spa, landscaped courtyards, an outdoor barbecue and seating area, and a 24-hour fitness center.
Other recent residential constructions in Walnut Creek include:
- The Arroyo Apartments – a six-story building housing 100 apartment units
- Ascent Apartments – a four-story building with 126 apartment units
- The Landing at Walnut Creek – a six-level building (including two levels for parking) housing 178 apartments
- Lyric at 1500 N. California – a mixed use 6-story building with 140 apartment units